I woke up at 5:45 am this morning to hear the first real rain in weeks falling on my roof. I love my house in the rain. It's small enough, with almost no attic, to hear the rain come through the shingles and roof joists and right in to my bedroom. Years ago, when I had a chance to travel more, I stayed in a small house with a tin roof. The thunderstorms the blew across the plains would explode in the small space between the tin roof, giving you the feeling of being in the middle of the storm as you stayed deep inside your bed and relished the power of mother nature.
As a kid, my dad's house over looked our valley and we could see storms building, the clouds growing, and soon enough they would hit our side of the mountain, rise up, and dump their drops on the ground below. We kept old mattresses handy, retired after years of of use, and would lay out on the sun porch and watch the storms, in the summer we would sleep out and listen to the rain and watch the lightening light up the lake below.
Today I let the rain put me back to sleep as my youngest padded in to the living room to watch Phineas and Ferb or play on my phone. A head cold and a runny nose put me on the "no sex" list, but I snuggled in close to my wife and felt her hips next to mine as we spooned through the rain. My alarm went off (much too loudly but my new phone won't go any softer) and I decided to let my oldest skip her Saturday run with the team. Technically the Saturday runs are voluntary but I never let her miss them. They are the times when the get in to the mountains and run the trails and show the coach their dedication and progress. But I don't need her turning an ankle on a muddy trail, or worse, getting her new shoes dirty.
Today will be quiet, an inside day, perhaps a day to see "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D to keep daughter #2 happy. It will be as good as the regular version, a little more interesting because of the 3D novelty, but mostly a way to think about a different version of Beauty and the Beast that I would like.
I won't get in to it, but I'm torn, like most parents, about the Disney's dead moms, missing Dads, and princesses of various levels of needy. I like the movies, but I want to make sure that my daughters aren't just sitting around waiting for someone to save them. My oldest is almost 16 and is very social, but very much a tomboy and intrigued and disgusted by boys in equal measure. And that's OK with me.
The family is waking up and the day will be upon me soon. Have a wonderful weekend, enjoy the day, and say something nice to someone who needs to hear it.
XOXO
Advizor


Post a Comment