Well, we planned to go out for dinner and then to The Avengers, but the second part did not end up happening.
Patrick and I went to our favorite sushi haunt, Taka Sushi up in Lynnwood, and ordered a few items. I'd eaten a bit of salad before we went, so we just had a couple little side salads, one order of ebi (shrimp on rice) for me, a baked scallop California roll to share, and nabeyaki udon for Patrick, which is a sort of noodle soup.
I'd eaten my ebi and we were working on the California roll when all of a sudden Patrick realized he had something weird in his mouth, spit it out, and we were looking at a STAPLE. Yes, the metal kind that you put in paper. It wasn't folded down, either, so the legs of it were sticking out at right angles to the body, and it was sharp! What in the hell? The only thing we can figure is that somehow it got into the packaging and was lying flat against some of the seaweed, which is a shiny dark green and kind of tacky feeling, so that it wasn't noticed when the sheet of seaweed was pulled out to make a roll.
I should've taken a picture, but by the time I thought about it we had already left, and you all know what staples look like anyway. Just imagine this one with bits of chewed dark green seaweed stuck to it.
I let the waitress know about it, and of course she and Taka himself were horrified. He was going to make us another roll, but we decided we weren't really in the mood for another one of those, so he didn't charge us for that and instead invented some sort of giant shrimp tempura nigiri with scallop sauce for us as an apology. I have never heard of this happening before. I'm sure we will go back, since that's a bizarre accident that will probably never happen again, but we might not order that roll in the future...
Anyway, I was traumatized by the whole thing, as I'm fairly sure eating sharp metal pieces isn't good for you and Patrick probably could've wound up with some sort of awful puncture sepsis or something, and we decided going to a movie was probably a pretty bad idea. I don't deal well with crowds on days when I'm not upset. We went home and relaxed for a while, then talked until way too late as we are wont to do, and went to sleep. What a day. He'd already had a crappy time at work, poor guy. I think he's feeling less stressed today, and so am I. Maybe we will go see Avengers on Thursday.
Chew your food carefully, kids! You never know what awful thing might be in it.

Post a Comment