Latest Movie :

Murder sheds, corn, etc.

Patrick and I went on a hike last weekend, and it was splendid. Even the part where we were sort of running down the mountain trying not to face plant into a rock. I had a lovely time.



On the way back we were sitting in traffic going through this teeny town called Gold Bar, and they had a collection of creepy buildings surrounded by high fences with signs attached to them saying Absolutely No Trespassing and No Public Inquiries. I told Patrick that obviously these were murder sheds, since what else would you need a ton of creepy shacks for in some tiny-ass town? He agreed.



Monkey had a terrible fever the other day, and then developed some eye leakage, so we took her in to the vet. For the record, if you're around the Seattle area and have a sick kitty, take your pet to Cats Exclusive. They're fabulous. The place is clean and neat, and it doesn't have that stomach-turning disinfectant-mixed-with-dog smell that a lot of vet places have. Everyone was very nice, and our Monkey is now on the mend.



We were trying to administer fluids night before last when a truck passed by outside and scared her to death, and she got me pretty good trying to escape. I could actually see down into my hand where she punctured it! I cleaned it up and put some antibiotic stuff on it, and it seems like it's healing fine, along with the other welts she gifted me with.



We went to Senor Moose for brunch today, and had this delicious corn thing. It's apparently called esquites, which is corn cooked with epazote (apparently a sort of plant). Well, I had that as an entrée, even though it's supposed to be an appetizer, and Patrick had some type of carne asada tacos. We shared deliciously authentic guacamole and plantains with cinnamon and sugar, as well as a couple cups of Mexican hot chocolate. I swear this place is the best in the world for that drink. It's wonderful! You always expect it to be like those awful beverages where it's all thick and delicious on top, but then you take a swig and it's like slightly chocolate-flavored water beneath.



Anyway, it was all awesome, and here is the recipe for esquites, from a cookbook that we went and bought after eating there:



Esquites

(serves 6)



6 small ears of corn

2 tbsp unsalted butter

3 tbsp lard or vegetable oil

1 1/2 tsp salt or to taste

2 serrano chiles or any fresh, hot green chiles, finely chopped

(Note: the dish I had came with red flecks, not green, so perhaps you could substitute chili powder or some type of red pepper)

3 heaped tbsp chopped epazote leaves

8 oz thick sour cream or crème fraîche

Fresh corn tortillas



1. Cut through each ear of corn at the stalk end and remove all the leaves and silks. cut the ears into slices about 1 1/2 inches thick. (When I had this, it was cut off the cob into kernels, so I recommend that)



2. Heat a heavy pan into which the corn will just fit in one layer. Melt the butter and lard or oil together in the pan, then add the corn, salt and chiles. Cover the pan and cook the corn over medium heat, shaking the pan from time to time and turning the corn over once, until it is tender and slightly browned - about 15 minutes.



3. Stir in the epazote for the last 3 minutes of the cooking time. When ready to serve, add a dollop of cream to each plate. Serve with fresh corn tortillas for making tacos.



Note: this may be prepared ahead, but the epazote should be added about 3 minutes before serving. I don't recommend freezing.



That is (mostly) what the book says, anyway. There is another recipe that is called elote con crema, and that sounds sort of like what I had as well, but not completely. At any rate, it was corn with cream and a bit of heat that you could wrap up in taco form. I'd expect garlic to be great with it as well.



Let me know if any of you try this!
Share this article :

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2011. oncall sex for life - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger