The day itself was lovely. It began with G bringing me delicious doughnuts from Krispy Kreme (I know, they're horrible for you, but I very seldom have them). I like the little original glazed ones if you heat them up so they are warm and airy. Cake doughnuts are not for me! Then I went to Spa Noir and had a wonderful series of indulgences. My usual brow and massage, plus a sea salt hand scrub and pedicure. Jessica, the lovely spa owner, painted my nails complimentarily so I would match! I thought that was sweet. I'd originally booked a full manicure, but G was unaware of my spa commitments and scheduled a surprise for me at 1pm, so we needed to end things a bit sooner than previously anticipated. It was still wonderful, though. Oh massage, how I love you. I'd almost forgotten what it looked like to have my nails painted... Yep, it had been that long.
Following the spa treatments, I met up with G at work and we walked over to the Pacific Science Center for... the Harry Potter Exhibition! I wasn't sure that I would like it, but it was amazing. Really a lot of fun! We got to see just heaps of props and costumes from the movies. I even sat in Hagrid's chair! Which does not mean anything if you aren't a Potter fan, but to me it was really cool. The seat is surprisingly not that comfortable. But I guess when you're just trying to make things look like they fit an 8' tall dude, comfort is not your top priority. Now whenever I see that chair in the movies I will nod sagely and say, "My butt was on that."
G and I saw how they made candles appear to float, as they'd kind of done a mini replica of the Great Hall at Hogwarts. It was a pretty neat effect, although I can see why the ceiling needs to be black to get away with it. Otherwise you see the suspending wires. All in all, it was a really great experience. I am very glad he took me to it. He also very generously bought me a golden time-turner necklace, which I proceeded to wear around like a giant dork. It was awesome. Thank you, G!
Time-turner. Worn in public.
When we were done with the exhibition, we decided to go look at the Science Center's Tropical Butterfly House. I had been to the one in Houston before, at their Museum of Natural History, but it was wonderful to see another one. I adore greenhouses, tropical plants, butterflies, and all combinations thereof. These places are always delightful. They're warm, sunny, full of lovely green and growing things, heavily perfumed from all the flowers, and the humidity level makes my water-loving little heart (and lungs) very happy. It was probably about 80F in there, but definitely not uncomfortably hot. Perhaps because it was so cold and drippy outside?
Both G and I had butterflies land on us a few times, which is always kind of a thrilling experience, no matter how old or cranky you are. They're just so beautiful, it's hard to be sour-faced. I tried to take a picture of one on G, but it was only moderately successful. I did get a few good pictures of other butterflies sitting here and there around the exhibit, but those are all on my phone, which is in the bedroom where G is currently sleeping, so you will have to wait. Right smack in the middle of the exhibit was the single most gorgeous tree I have ever seen in my life.
This will kill you. Prettily.
It's called an Angel's Trumpet, and the particular species we saw was Brugmansia x candida (Grand Marnier). Absolutely beautiful, just dripping with these gigantic hanging blossoms, and smelled like heaven. But apparently it will murder you to death. From the Queensland Health Department's website:
All parts of the plant are toxic. Symptoms may include intense thirst, difficulty with speech and swallowing, vomiting and diarrhoea, fever, confusion, hallucinations, delirium, dilated pupils, seizures and coma. Deaths have occurred. The perfume can cause respiratory irritation, headaches, nausea, and light-headedness. Eye contact with the sap may cause dilated pupils and temporary blindness.
Isn't that lovely? Do you suppose the Pacific Science Center knows this? Because they have got this in giant tree form right in the middle of an exhibit with kids allowed in. And it drops flowers all over the ground... Oh well. Of course, I totally want one. I'm just afraid it might assassinate my cats. Maybe one day when I have a greenhouse.
Our lengthy birthday excursion continued with a walk back to work. Halfway there I decided I was very hungry, so we tried a little hole-in-the-wall Mexican place called Barracuda. I do not normally like Mexican food (by which I mean I don't like Americanized Mexican food), but this appeared to be authentic and was very good. At least they made carnitas for me the same way I'd had them when in actual Mexico. G was so proud of me. I ate cilantro and onions. And LIKED THEM. I know, I can't believe it either. It was pretty tasty. Sadly this made us far too full for our planned dinner date to Pasta Freska, but we still have plans to go at a later date.
The last part of my birthday present from G will be happening today, as he bought us tickets to the first installment of the 7th Harry Potter movie. Evidently this has been a very Potter-y birthday.
So yeah, that's what I've been doing. I also received a number of other very thoughtful gifts from simply delightful people. Thank you all very much! I have enjoyed each and every one of them. Your generosity is much appreciated!

Post a Comment