![]() |
| Lost 150-354 |
Andrew had never been more lost in all his life. His new house, recently occupied, felt odd, of course, but it was the world outside that was strange to him.
The assassination of Pope Paul Steven the 15th was the first step. Even as a non-catholic, he felt sadness at the news. The atheists rejoiced even while his body laid in the street in front of Vatican2, freshly built in the center of New York. With the competing headquarters finished, "Catholics for a New American Future” thought their victory was complete. Rome had been sacked, the old pope was dead, long live the new Pope!!
But now, C-NAF was in total disarray. With their latest Pope dead in the square, they quickly lost ground to Non-Believers Inc. (a wholly owned subsidiary of Popeslinks.org), who called for immediate on-line elections. Within hours, the tides shifted and God was voted out. Schools updated their e-books overnight, all the pay stations dropped the freshly forbidden words from the currency printers, and the electronic posters in schoolrooms reverted to the original Pledge.
“See!” he said, raising his arms to the cross, “That wasn’t so hard now after all. His voice was polished and mocking, and across Northern Mexico, From Nueva York to the border with Sino-Canada, Deists everywhere wept and threw heavy metal crosses through the screen of their TVs, silencing their new President. God was dead, the rules were suspended, hell evaporated into myth, and it was everyone for themselves.
Andy got up from watching TV and walked onto his balcony. They were still there, going at it. They were louder than usual as Red had brought some friends this time. They had been “celebrating” in the streets of the capital since the elections the night before. With God voted off money, schools, and out of history, I guess they didn’t need to pretend anymore.
Still, he thought, maybe they had voted too quickly, lost too much. He put those thoughts aside and grabbed his strip of condoms headed out to join them, making sure to lock the Oval Office as he left.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'll admit that I'm not as happy as I'd like to be with this one. I tried to build too much in to too few words. My week flew buy and I felt rushed, unfocused, spent, and not at all on my game. Only one take this week. I couldn't get around the image and that, to me, it looked like a post-apocalyptic orgy. The picture really doesn't suggest it, but from the 1st time I looked at it, definitely under the influence of my current reading, it looked deserted, desperate, hungry.
So, I kind of like how it sounds in my head, but you get to suffer with what comes out on paper... Sorry
Go read all the good ones as listed on Panser's site and have a great Friday!


Post a Comment